Sunday 24 March 2013

January/February Favourites 2013

Hey guys & dolls! 

So as you may have read in my previous post I have set new goals for this year's blogging! New features and everything! 

This is the first bi-monthly favourites post (so the next one will be end of April), with all my faves of January and February. These are all items that have been permanently on my window sill (where I do my makeup) for the last 2+ months. So without further ado.... Here we go!


NYC Sun 2 Sun Bronzer in Bronze Gold (any good pharmacy, i.e sam mccauleys, mulligans)
I got this aaages ago, but recently have been using it more and more. It has a bronze half and a shimmery gold half. I'm not sure at all what the gold half is for and I haven't really used it as it is quite shimmersome. It's a bit hard in the pan as many reviews have pointed out but that doesn't bother me too much. I see it as a positive - that way I can't get too much on the brush and go oompa loompa! I use it for bronzing my cheeks, temples and jawline. It's lovely and glowy on my skin, and has the tiniest bit of shimmer going through it but I don't notice it being shiny on the skin. 



E.L.F Mineral Foundation in Medium Beige (eyeslipsface.co.uk)
I've only recently discovered e.l.f (eyes lips face), but I'm so glad I have!! Since then you may have noticed I've been raving about wanting more and wishlists and the lot! (don't worry, I have a haul post on the way ;)
   Aanyway, my first order was only small with a few items to try out but since then I've been looking at countless reviews, top tens, holy grail items and all that, planning my next order! I went for the mineral foundation as I've been itching to try some but there aren't that many brands here in Ireland that do them.
   I've been trying it out in all sorts of different ways - on its own, with primer, over BB cream, over foundation. I've found my two favourite ways of using it are over BB creams and over my foundation to set it. I find that this saves me having to find a thick or heavy coverage foundation as the mineral foundation gives that little bit extra.


Gosh 22 Eyeshadow Palette (debenhams)
I got this for christmas off my boyfriend but found myself reaching for it consistently through January & February. It has a good mix of mattes, shimmers, satins and sparkles. It also has a fabulous range of colours bright, light, dark and neutral. It's a really good all rounder palette and it'll probably turn up in an Essentials post at some point or another! The pigmentation and colour payoff are hit and miss with the shades, but paired with a good primer it's really splendid. Some of the more shimmery colour are quite powdery and need a good bit of layering up but as I said, slap a good bit of primer on and you're good to go!



E.L.F Mineral Primer (eyelipsface.co.uk)
Another e.l.f product - not the last on this list either!
   I had been searching for a good silicon based primer since about November and when I saw the hype about this cheap primer I said 'why not?'
   As primers go I haven't an aweful lot of knowledge but I find this one really is very good. I prefer it to the Gosh primers I've tried and would compare it to the Avon primer. Keeps my foundation on for the whole day and smooths out my skin. 


17 Stay Time Concealer in Extra Fair (Boots, Superdrug)
I bought this not with the intention of using wholly as a concealer but also (as it's a shade or two above my foundation), as a liquid highlighter for when I want subtle definition. It works really well as both, and is very blendable and buildable! It has the standard doe-foot applicator and has a medium consistency. I use it mainly for defining my cheekbones, bridge of my nose, and forehead. (You may be lucky enough to get a make-up routine coming your way soon, let me know in the comments what you think!)


Pretty Pink Palette - Blushes! (argos)
I know, I'm surprised as well!? But I actually love the three shades that come in the slide out drawer of the palette. This was also a gift for christmas with varying shades of eyeshadow. I dont find myself reaching for the eyeshadows of this palette at all really, even though they are very pigmented.
   The blushes on the other hand come in three shades - a peachy shade, a deep rosey colour, and an in-between-the-two shade, we'll call it rose gold. I use them most days I wear blush, and now it's (supposed to be) spring I am pulled towards the peach colour as it's quite light.
   All the shades have a shimmer to them, but it's not overpowering. More like it just gives a very dewy, glowey effect.



E.L.F  Long Wear Lip Liner in Natural Blush (eyeslipsface.co.uk)
Told ya so! Another favourite of mine from e.l.f. I've seen many youtuber's/bloggers saying that this lip liner is quite dry which makes it hard to apply, but i found after the first one or two swipes it was very creamy. It also matches my natural lip colour almost perfectly so it works well on days when all I want is a simple nude lip with some gloss over the top. I also like to use it under harsh pinks to bring them down a shade, or to soften them.



17 High Drama Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black (Boots, Superdrug)
I've had this lurking in my make-up bag for longer than I care to remember, and yet it seems it's only now that I have been using everytime I have a craving for liquid liner. It is truly blackest black as the shade suggests and has one of those felt-y, spongy applicator tips which I personally prefer to bristles. It dries fairly quick which is handy for in the morning before college when I'm in a rush and don't have time to stand around with my eyes closed to avoid transfer! It is also very opaque so there's no need to build it up - one swipe and you're done!


Rimmel London Glam'Eyes Lash Flirt Mascara in Black Kohl (Boots, Superdrug, any rimmel stockists)
Another lurker that's come out of the shadows is this Rimmel Glam'Eyes mascara. It has a hard plastic wand (as opposed to a softer silicon one), with two different lenght 'bristles' on it - a set of long, a set of short. I think the main reason I've been using this so much this month is the fact that I've gotten back into doing my lower lashes as well as my upper ones, and with the shorter 'bristles' this is easier to accomplish that with my other mascaras. It gives a nice volume boost to my lashes and adds some length as well.



Aaand last but not least it's.....
Eco Tools Powder Brush (Boots, most of the larger pharmacies)
I thought I'd better throw this one in as I have been using it more than I used to. That may be due to my using more powder products.. But still! I absolutely love this brush, it's perfect for applying powder blushes, bronzers, finishing powders, etc. The bristles are so soft it's unbelievable! I prefer it over some of the denser blush/face brushes as I find they pick up a bit too much product for my liking. This is great for dusting blush over your cheeks and leaving you with the perfect natural glow I think. I don't know what I'd do without it!



Phew! So that's it, my favourites of January & February. Have no fear, there'll be hauls galore in the coming week or two! But you will have to excuse me if I am absent for a while after, I'm heading to Spain with my boyfriend in 10 days, then I'm into the last few weeks of college so there's loads of pressure on for that.

(Reviews on all e.l.f products found here.)

Stay up to date on twitter, pinterest, instagram & now she said beauty too!
What are you're favourites at the moment? AND let me know if you've tried any of these and what you thought of them!

Ta-ta for now! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - I don't bite, I promise! xo